The International Baccalaureate Curriculum in our Middle Years Programme enriches students (11-16 years old) both inside and outside the classroom. It ensures breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding.
All MYP students follow courses from the following groups:
- Group 1: Language and Literature
- Group 2: Language Acquisition. We offer English, Dutch, French, Spanish (only in MYP4) and German.
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies. This subject incorporates the humanities (such as history and philosophy) as well as disciplines in the social sciences (such as economics, business management, geography, sociology and political science).
- Group 4: Mathematics
- Group 5: Sciences. For years MYP1-3, we offer an integrated science with chemistry, biology and physics. For MYP4-5, we offer chemistry, biology and physics and students are required to take two.
- Group 6: Arts. We offer Theatre Arts, Visual Arts, Media Studies (only in year 10-11) and Music
- Group 7: Physical and Health Education
- Group 8: Design
All MYP students study Dutch.
In the final year of MYP all students complete a Personal Project: an independent exploration into an area of interest which serves as a way to consolidate the MYP experience.
Teachers organise continuous assessment during the Middle Years Programme. They take account of specified criteria that correspond to the objectives of each subject group. This means that the student’s achievements are determined by performance against set standards and not by each student’s position in the overall rank order of the class.
Tasks in MYP may include:
- Open-ended, problem-solving activities
- Organized debates
- Hands-on experimentation
- Analysis and reflection
- Traditional tests, quizzes and essays
In keeping with our approach to learning, we make use of quantitative and qualitative assessment strategies. We also use tools that provide opportunities for peer- and self-assessment. The recording and reporting of individual levels of achievement are organised in ways that provide students with detailed feedback on their progress.
Download our MYP Academic Handbook to learn more.