Teacher Mathematics MYP/DP
The new colleague will participate fully as a team member in an academic department and within the whole school. At UWC Maastricht every teacher is considered to be part of the pastoral care structure. Therefore subject teachers support students not only in their academic learning but also in their development as a person. Part of the UWC model of education is that all teachers are also expected to lead a service and a creative or physical activity.
A deliberately diverse community
UWC Maastricht is committed to creating a deliberate diverse and inclusive school community, uniting students and staff from the rich diversity of human existence. We not only wish to bring together people from different national and cultural backgrounds, but also recognize differences around ethnicity, religion and belief, language, colour, socio-economic opportunity, physical and mental ability, political ideology, gender and gender expression, and sexuality. Actively pursuing such a community and creating equal opportunities for all of our stakeholders will allow us to celebrate our diversity and, in the process, discover our commonality as members of the human race.
UWC Maastricht recruits qualified and experienced staff from around the world who are committed to our school’s mission to make education a force for peace and a sustainable future.
The successful profile & qualifications
Pursuing the UWC mission requires a commitment from our staff members to the following values:
International and cultural understanding, celebration of difference, personal responsibility and integrity, mutual responsibility and respect, compassion and service, respect for the environment, a sense of idealism, personal challenge, action and personal example.
It should be noted that the school is a dynamic and high energy environment: the satisfaction from working at UWC Maastricht is high – but so are the demands on time and engagement.
Education degree and professional experience
Successful experience of teaching Mathematics in the IB MYP/DP, Higher level AA&AI or a similar program is required.
Completed Bachelor education (MYP) and Completed Master (DP) desired in the requested subject.
(international) Teaching Qualification / Certificate that qualifies for accreditation according to the Dutch educational system
- Successful experience as a teacher in an international IB school is preferred
- More information on the website of DUO, a department of the Dutch Ministery of Education
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following competencies on a professional proficiency level:
- Subject knowledge and methodological competence : Demonstrating the necessary subject knowledge and methodological strategies to effectively educate students. Ability to guide students in Mathematics Extended Essay or research skills-based assignments. Helping students to make themselves familiar with the cultural and professional baggage that is necessary for them to fully function in society. Providing students with structure and support in a safe learning.
- environment to enable them to develop socially, emotionally and morally.
- Organizational : Creating a well-organized, orderly and task-oriented learning environment.
- Collaboration with colleagues : Making a professional contribution to a good pedagogic and didactic climate, to effective mutual collaboration and good school organization.
- Interpersonal : Creating an atmosphere of trust by dealing with students in a positive and open way. Showing sensitivity and insight into social/emotional/cultural consideration of international students.
- Interaction with the environment : Ensuring good communication and coordination with parents and others involved in the education and development of the students.
- Reflection and development : Reflecting regularly on the development of personal and professional capabilities.
- Computer literacy.
- Fluent English Level: reading, writing, speaking and understanding. A minimum of C2 proficiency in English. Multilingual candidates are preferred.
UWC Maastricht is committed to upholding the highest standards in student safeguarding. Throughout the application process we will be assessing your suitability to work with children and young adults. Prior to an offer of employment being made, UWC Maastricht will check directly with current and past employers about safeguarding.
Terms of Employment
You will get a temporary contract of employment under Dutch law: the initial contract is until August 1, 2022. After a positive appraisal and after your Dutch teaching certificate has been granted by DUO, your temporary contract can be changed into a contract for an indefinite period of time. If your appraisal is not positive enough or DUO does not award you a Dutch Teaching Certificate (yet), you will be given a second temporary contract.
To be able to work in the Netherlands, a (foreign) staff member must be able to successfully apply for:
✔ Residence and work permits for the Netherlands.
✔ A Dutch VOG (certificate of good conduct).
UWCM will assist in the application process for residence and work permits and VOG.
NOTE: We reserve the right to appoint a suitable candidate before the vacancy deadline